Sunday, July 12, 2015

Rainy day blogging

   It is a rainy Sunday here in the 'land of the
up right people'. I headed out of the village
early to go to the nearest town. It is my usual
weekly ritual except that Saturday is the 
prefered day. 
   There are a few things that I needed to do
but the businesses are closed. So that
means a return trip tomorrow morning. 
  At this time of the year the rain comes and goes 
just like that. One minute a clear sky, next, a 
downpour. Now, it is at the ending stages
of the downpour and I am sheltering at the
town's upscale restaurant ( as you see in the
picture above). This is the place I come to
every week. They have a big screen TV which
is usually playing the African music videos.
Except that the TV has been broken for about
2 months and was sent out to be repaired.
So when you leave the bush and 
want to experience a change of pace in 
entertainment ... it ain't there. But it is coming
this next Tuesday ... for the 6th time.
  Another problem at this time is that it's the 
Holy Month of Ramadan. Everyone working 
here is Muslim and fasting. Got to hand it to
them for persevering. Smelling the food all day
and not eating or drinking or having the TV
to distract them ... has got to be tough.
  I am just hanging here through the rain and
I am not eating or drinking. I'd feel guilty if 
I did. But after this next Thursday, Ramadan 
will be over, then back to normal.
  The rain has subsided and I think I am going
to head out. The sky isn't clear yet but at this
point in my tour I've met almost everyone 
along the 23 km route and have places to
hang out if it rains again.
  Time to hit the road.


No comments:

Post a Comment