Saturday, July 18, 2015

How to explain

  Every 6 months or so a new group of volunteers
enters the country to replace the ones who have finished
their tour.

  They go through an approximate 12 weeks of training
and during that period they receive their sites/homes for
the next two years. At about mid-point in the training they
get a chance to visit their sites and get a chance to prepare
for their upcoming arrivals.

  Also a part of their site visit is to take a day to get to know
what will be known to them as their 'shopping town'.

  At the moment I am in my shopping town that will soon serve
the same purpose for two new volunteers. I am here with another
colleague to help show them around and answer any questions
they may have.

  Being in the Peace Corps does have it's interesting little
experiences and coincidences. For example one of the new
volunteers is from my neck of the woods in the USA. We
live about 10 miles apart as the crow flies in Massachusetts.
The other volunteer lives about 10 minutes from my other
colleague from L.A.

  Nothing earth shattering ... just one of them funny little things.
  My other colleague also went home for a visit to L.A. and just
returned. While she was home she volunteered at a Peace Corps
function to recruit prospective volunteers. She worked with the
recruiter who happened to be one of my group mates from Namibia
from 2009 to 2011.

  When I was in Senegal there was a volunteer at the time who was
one year ahead of me. We were close together and hung out and
traveled a bit. She received a job in the USA that required her to
work in the western part of Massachusetts. While there she went
out to eat with one of her fellow workers who brought along his
girlfriend at the time. His girlfriend was the volunteer who replaced
me in Senegal. She arrived in the village several weeks after I was
done. To repeat, not a big deal just a coincidence.

  Last coincidence was when I finished in Romania and arrived
in a Namibian village 6 months after leaving Eastern Europe.
Lo and behold, 2 months afterwards two white guys arrived in
this village in the middle of nowhere to start a Seventh Day Adventist
Church. And they were from where? Can you guess Romania. So
I continued to speak Romanian for another three years.

  All these are again, not earth shattering instances but
are just plain fun to see. With the getting out in the world it did
bring these situations to be possible.

  With 5 months left I am doubting that another similar style
coincidence is possible ... but ... maybe?

No comments:

Post a Comment