Thursday, October 16, 2014

I'm back posting

It's been a bit since I last posted. The reason
for the absence has been that it's been a slow
time of the year. A lot of my activities have 
centered around the schools in the area. 
But school is back in session and I'm back in
business. I have kept myself occupied during
but it's been only baby weighings (mal-nutrition
based activity), promoting a cleanup campaign
(definite challenge), beautification (planting 
flowers at health clinic) and getting around and
visiting the kiosks and boutiques in the 8 villages
I pass through during my bicycle rides.

We had the feast of Tabaski a few weeks ago.
It is a Muslim holiday and I went and prayed with
the villagers. Also, received a new name in front
of about 700 people. I can now be called 'Abraham'.
The picture above is of a few girls who live
in the area. They just returned from praying.
I had no trouble being a christian and attending
the Muslim prayers.

It is picking up with plans for sex education
classes (mainly against teenage pregnancy) at
the middle school. We are at the organizational
stage but within the next week or so, we should
start. It is actually a continuation of what we
started at the end of last school year. 
It worked out great with at least 8 girls coming
for family planning and several others coming
for condoms, both male and female. 
This has been one of the best activities I've done
so far and it has demonstrated some success.

Also talking to the teachers about things like
mathelete competitions and spelling bees.
One teacher I tried to get into spelling bees last
year (but was hesitant) saw 'Akila and the Bee'
and now is interested. I guess my explaning what
a spelling bee is in my French didn't work but
thanks to the movie.

The teacher who was in charge of last year's 
theatre group left. So, us not being professionals
like he is, have come up with plan 'B'. Which is to
have the kids write skits and then perform them.
The goal is of letting them be creative and build
confidence. It's at the drawing board stage but
this is one activity I'd like to see happen.
 The sports teacher has returned and I am talking
crap about getting a kid from the village up to
the capital 'Ouagadougou' to compete in the 
100 meter final sprint races. Just trying to
motivate him but this is one area where lack
of resources hurts. We'll figure how to make decent
starting blocks with no cash in hopes of making
the crap talk a reality.

For now that's about it and I've got to say that 
I'm happy that things are starting to pick up.

No comments:

Post a Comment