Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Moringa in a bidon

I am in the capital (Ouagadougou) for a couple of days.
Partly for work and partly for a few days of R&R and
discovering.

The work was in the form of our quarterly report and
I've been able to tackle it and that's out of the way.

I haven't really spent much time in Ouagadougou
so I am taking a few days to chill out and discover some
of the sights and food joints.

The discovery will also continue tomorrow as a colleague
and me (or I) are planning to pedal our bicycles to
another colleague's village. It is about 87 km (or about
54 and a half miles) on a road I've never taken. The main
roads here in Burkina Faso are actually very good with
a decent little breakdown (or shoulder) lane that makes it
a pretty safe trip.

Also, before I arrived I was having a bit of technical
problems with my bicycle. From going through the bush
roads I actually wore down the gears on the bike. The bike
is used but the gears were like new. In the bush trails
there is a lot of sand and after all the miles ... it just plain
got worn to the point that the chain was jumping over the gears.

But all that is resolved with the gears being replaced,
a new chain and man, I am feeling ... giddy. One aspect of Peace
Corps life I am appreciative of ... is that living with little makes
even having the gears on your used bicycle changed ... a great
source of happiness. I am happy for the little things. Helps
cut down my cost of living, which gives me a
sense of freedom. I like feeling free.

In the picture you can see a 'bidon' cut in half with three
Moringa tree seedlings in it.

Moringa trees about 1 meter tall




















It is nothing of great significance but it looks colorful
and it's in my courtyard. With the animals really liking
it it is difficult to plant without solid protection.
The leaves of the Moringa are added to sauces and they
are almost like vitamins as there are some good solid
nutrients in it. In the past I've raised them to about the
height they are and the neighbors prepare the protection
and then we divide it up and they are planted. It is a
bit of work but in the end ... it is worth it.

So tomorrow it is on the road for some discovery and
hopefully adventure. Could be some blogging in the
near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment