Saturday, July 12, 2014

Strange events

Strange things happen everywhere and a few happened here recently.

While riding my bike out on one of the bush 
trails I meet this old gent standing by his
1 cylinder motorcycle.
He flags me down and I thought he had a
problem but he just wanted to chat a bit.
We talked for a few minutes until another
motorcyclists came by that he seemed to
know.
So off I go down the path and the nearest
village was about 10 minutes away, tops.
There is the folklore of people appearing
mysteriously at any moment.
Well, it happened with this old gent. I pedaled
down this path and no one … I mean … no one
passed me.
As I arrived in the village and stopped to buy a
bag of water … I look across and there is the
old gent sitting on the bench of a kiosk.
What happened I don't know and there must
have been an alternative route that he took …
though I didn't hear a motorcycle's engine.
Of course there is the logical excuse but I am
not interested in knowing and I am dubbing
the gent 'the African magic man'.
Knowing would just ruin the fun of the
encounter.

Another strange but bitter sweet happening
occurred a few days ago. I work at a rural
health clinic and the clinic has a building
dedicated to maternity only.
Usually every morning one of the mid-wives
fills me in on the new Burkinabe who have entered
this world the previous night.
She said that that night there was only one baby
born but it was part of a sad scenario.
The baby was born exactly at 5 a.m. and at the
exact same 5 a.m. the new mother's mother
passed away.
The new mother's mother was sick but the point
is the timing.
Was there spirit exchange at the moment?
Who truly knows?  

Not earth shattering in it's strangeness but
still has a strange tone to it.
In my opinion even stranger because of the
African mystique.  

No comments:

Post a Comment