Saturday, May 24, 2014

It's D light

That's what you're looking at in the picture.
Living without electricity has it's good and
bad aspects. The bad part is pretty obvious
with not having amenities, which at times 
wouldn't be bad ... no lie. So what could the
good part be? First no electric bills or stress
of having to keep up with technology. Second,
the stars are just abundant on a usual night.
An added benefit is that one is apt to spend
more time with people as a source of 
entertainment.
That's not to say having some electricity
is a bad thing. Ergo the solar light charger
in the photo. The brand is actually d.light solar.
So it is ... D light. It keeps me in business
as to the need to charge phones and a light
at night. It costs $30 USD at the Total gas
stations here in Burkina.
 
The past week was fun as with becoming 
a regular in the village seems to be making
people more open. Plus my local language
(Moore) has improved to the point that I can
inject some humor and they love it. I usually
leave them in a hail of laughter. It is the old
show biz addage ... end on a high note so 
they'll want an encore.

Let me see ... usual baby weighings a few 
days, lunch with the Ambassador on thursday
and another sex education class with an 
emphasis on preventing teenage pregnancy
this morning. 
There were exactly 40 girls from the 9th grade.
Here the ages are a little older for that class 
and they were between 15 to 18 years old.
The mid-wife does a great job and I do my 
part and together we make a fun presentation 
full of the information they need. Again the
girls had so many questions. 
It gives us a rewarding feeling when it's 
done. Will it stop teenage pregnancy with 
the girls we've talked to ... who knows. But
we do know they won't become pregnant 
through ignorance.

The lunch with the Ambassador was great. It
was another volunteer and (I or me) and him,
his wife and staff, which are really nice people.
Again, it sure added to the week.
The lunch was in the town I go to to get away
or need things. I always take my bicycle and 
it's about 23 km one way. I have a normal 
route that goes through the bush for 3km 
then comes onto a paved 2 lane main road.
This time I found out about a path that goes
12 km through the bush before arriving at the
above mentioned main road.
It is just a beautiful path that let's one really 
see the bush and the rural villages at their
best. Met a lot of people through asking 
directions. Going to guess I am close to the
first white person they've seen riding a bike
in their area who can speak a bit of their local
language. 
On that path is the best natural bonzai looking
trees I've ever seen. I will try and get a pic next 
time. 
Great path + lunch with Ambassador = good day.

Also passed out seeds of the Moringa tree 
(leaves are nutritional) with the angle of working
the nutrition front. Then prepared a few holes 
for planting Moringa at the health clinic. We 
talk about the tree but have nary a one to show.
I like having things to show when trying to 
convince. The normal way it should be.

That's about it for this week ... no complaints
of substance with this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment