Thursday, November 28, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving and waafos

I do hope that everyone is enjoying
their holiday and feeling thankful
for all they have.
Learning a new language is a
process that takes some effort.
It's about learning new words,
new grammar and especially ...
new pronunciation.
We've been doing fairly well and
have made some progress. I am
learning the Moore language and
try and practice it everyday. I
have a place in the morning on
the side of the road where I get
get bread, coffee with milk
(buuri ne cafe ne bissim) and
get to use the Moore I have.
Also, there is a lady named Flo
who is a tailor that we hang out
with a bit on a daily basis.
The other day one of my fellow
colleagues pulled up while I was
talking with Flo.
So  I used some of my Moore to
say to my colleague "fo wame ne 
waafo" and all of a sudden
Flo and the guy from the nearby
boutique (little variety store) just
burst out laughing and are almost
literally falling on the ground.
I'm like ... what is this?
After they stopped laughing ...
which took about 5 minutes ...
they told me I said in Moore
that my colleague arrived with
her snake.
I thought I was saying bicycle
which in Moore is waafo ...
pronounced 'wayfo' but instead
pronounced it 'wahfo' ... which
means snake.
So now every time I go to the
boutique guy ... after he stops
laughing ... he asks me if I want
to buy a snake. And Flo says
she saw me riding my snake
into town.
It's always fun learning a new
language and it isn't ever without
a few laughs.

1 comment: